Government of Canada supports celebrations and cultural activities in communities
June 15, 2015
St. Catharines – Rick Dykstra, Member of Parliament for St. Catharines, on behalf of the Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages, and the Honourable Bal Gosal, Minister of State (Sport), today announced that the Niagara Sport Commission is receiving funding of $18,000 through the Community Celebrations Fund to plan and carry out celebrations related to the Toronto 2015 Pan Am and Parapan Am Games.
This support from the Government of Canada will help St. Catharines offer an exceptional celebration to strengthen our national pride and raise awareness of vibrant cultural communities in the region. Over the course of the Games, community celebrations across the country will offer cultural experiences and performances to thousands of Canadians and visitors alike.
- The Toronto 2015 Pan Am and Parapan Am Games Community Celebrations Fund is a two-year initiative that will support cultural activities throughout Canada in connection with the Toronto 2015 Games.
- This funding comes from the up to $500 million that the Government of Canada has committed to the 2015 Games.
- The Niagara Sports Commission hosted a community sporting celebration that showcased Pan Am Games sports and highlight the important sport history of the Niagara Region. Activities took place June 13, 2015 at Jaycee in St. Catharines. The event included: an opening ceremony, athlete appearances and a sport ‘try it’ day that encouraged children and youth to try various summer sports and interact with sport groups with whom they may want to become members. The following sports were featured: basketball, canoeing and kayaking, volleyball, soccer, fencing and baseball. The project engaged local sporting organizations and professional athletes. The project also included a sport themed exhibit that will showcase the Pan Am Games and Canadian sport history
“I’m thrilled to announce this important contribution that will showcase our community’s passion for both culture and sport”, said Dykstra. “Our celebration will shine a light on our community as we cheer on our country’s athletes.”
- The Toronto 2015 Games will be one of the largest multisport events ever hosted in Canada.
- The Governor General proclaimed 2015 as the Year of Sport in Canada. Its overarching theme is “Canada: A Leading Sport Nation.”